mAKING THE DECISION
TEN ADVANTAGES OF using lAMINATE
When you begin your investigation you will discover the amazing laminate range that is available. Laminate colours are infinite with multiple shades and textures in every colour of the rainbow. Kitchen design companies will offer you laminate samples so that you can study them in the comfort of your own home, testing them against your decor and furnishings to ensure you select the colour that is right for your kitchen design.
Laminate bench tops are unique in that they can take on the form of other materials. You will discover laminate samples that look exactly like stone, granite, and wood. If you select a laminate bench top, you will get all the benefits of laminate with the amazing look of these natural and trendy finishes.
High pressure laminate can be extremely hard wearing and resistant to a full on assault from your kids, husband or other household members. It will fight off most scratches and impacts that would normally leave a dent and you can even wipe it clean after your little artists have mistaken your new kitchen bench as an art canvas.
Laminate is light...not much more to add here. It is easy to carry, transport and manoeuvre into place. Enough said really...
If you are on a budget then laminate is the solution. You can choose from hundreds of laminate samples and for a fraction of the cost of a natural material like stone, granite or marble...and don't forget, you can still have that same great look!
The average cost of laminate is $120-350 per square metre; extremely economical when you compare it to:
- Timber - $350-1200 per square metre.
- Stainless steel - $950 per square metre.
- Quartz - $1500-4000 per slab
- Stone - $650-2000 per square metre.
If you decide to use post-formed laminate you will gain the added advantage of no peeling. Post formed laminate is more flexible and slightly thinner than traditional laminate samples. It is usually pre-manufactured straight on to the bench top particle board and you would purchase it as a drop-in-place section for your kitchen.
If you are a flamboyant cook (also known as messy) then laminate may be just what you are looking for. It is extremely waterproof, which means all your spills, splashes and mishaps can be wiped away with no damage to the bench top.
Laminate can be worked! Your kitchen designer and manufacturer will love you for choosing laminate as it makes the assembly of your kitchen masterpiece that much more workable. They can cut, shape and manipulate the laminate into every aspect of your kitchen design.
With laminate being so workable and the availability of such a great range of laminate samples and colours, it opens up so many options for not so conventional uses. One of these uses is...splash backs. Instead of paying for glass, tiles, stainless steel or other materials to be installed in your new kitchen you can opt for a laminate splash back.
Laminate is known to last up to twenty years if you treat it right. This equates to a pretty good return on investment for the initial outlay of a laminate bench top.
wHY YOU MIGHT CHOOSE ANOTHER FINISH
- Laminate is not considered as durable as some of its natural counterparts.
- It suffers from cuts and burns just like us.
- If you accidentally chip your laminate bench top, there is a high chance you won't be able to have it repaired.
- Cleaning light laminate colours can be a challenge as you are advised not to use abrasive cleaners - which lets face it, are our go to for nasty bench stains.
- Laminate bench tops can be prone to swelling, especially around the sink area, where the water can seep into the join between the laminate bench top and the sink insert.
- If you selected a high gloss laminate sample then you will need to watch out for sharp or rough objects that can leave scratches on the surface.
- If your kitchen design calls for rounded bench top edges then you have to be aware that you will also have to accept angle cuts on all the corners of your laminate bench top.
- Laminate bench tops are also susceptible to ageing and laminate colours can dull over time with excessive cleaning.